Monday, August 2, 2010

Have a Party Coming Up? Try Using My "Day of The Party" Timeline




Anyone have a party coming up?  I just happen to have one on 9-02-10...

Here's what I'll be doing the day of and my explanation behind the super type A timeline:


Day of the Party Timeline

¾   Take cake out of the freezer
¾   Run and empty the dishwasher
¾   Make beverages
o   ______________
o   ______________
o   ______________
o   ______________
¾   Add last minute décor, such as favors
¾   Make last minute food
o   ______________
o   ______________
o   ______________
o   ______________
¾   Get balloons, if using
¾   Turn down the a/c or open windows
¾   Turn on music
¾   Light candles
¾   Check restrooms
¾   Sit back and enjoy a few moments of silence before the party begins.  Visualize the perfect party.  It’s almost here!

I use the day of timeline by filling in times next to each thing.  This keeps me on track and on time, and keeps me from stressing that I don’t have enough time to finish everything.  It also gives me an idea of whether I have put too many items on this timeline and lets me know when I need to move some items to the day before.

To fill in the times, I start with the last item, fill in a time that is about 15 minutes before the party, and count backwards.  See the example below:

Day of the Party Timeline

¾   Take cake out of the freezer (1:15)
¾   Run and empty the dishwasher (1:30)
¾   Make beverages and set coffee maker
o   ______________ (1:45)
o   ______________ (2:00)
o   ______________ (2:15)
o   ______________ (2:30)
¾   Add last minute décor, such as favors
¾   Make last minute food
o   ______________ (2:45)
o   ______________ (3:15)
o   ______________ (3:45)
o   ______________ (4:15)
¾   Send someone to get balloons, if using (4:15)
¾   Turn down the a/c or open windows (4:30)
¾   Turn on music (4:45)
¾   Get dressed for the party (5:00)
¾   Light candles (5:15)
¾   Check restrooms (5:30)
¾   Sit back and enjoy a few moments of silence before the party begins.  Visualize the perfect party.  It’s almost here!   (5:45)

This would be for a party starting at 6:00 pm.  I usually give myself 15 minutes for each step, and sometimes 30 minutes for the food preparation.  

If you usually get frazzled the day of a party, if you and those you live with argue due to the stress of getting everything ready, this timeline will help.  You will be able to relax and easily delegate when someone offers to help because you will know exactly what needs to be down and when.

Another day of tip is this: I usually ask my husband to take the kids out to do something fun the morning of the party.  This is a win/win because the kids get to have fun with Daddy, and I can easily keep the house straightened while prepping without having kiddos underfoot.  

A few days before the party, I also usually give my husband a list of a few things and ask him if he would mind completing them before the party.  They are usually things that are easier for him than me- such as spraying for mosquitoes if it’s an outdoor party, picking up balloons, or trimming last minute bushes, etc.  By asking a few days in advance, and then letting go of those items rather than micromanaging, we have discovered a way to help each other and not bicker or argue on the day of a party.  

Before using the timelines, I was in a constant state of panic on the day of any party, and would easily snap at anyone in my path.  Before one said party, my husband calmly pointed out that “I get like that any time we host something,” I knew I had to change.  Thus was born the timelines and they have worked like a charm almost every time since.


No comments:

Post a Comment